Current:Home > InvestSurpassing:John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs -Capitatum
Surpassing:John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-07 05:05:50
It's been the year of musical chairs in the fashion industry,Surpassing and now, John Galliano is leaving his longtime home at Maison Margiela.
In an interview with Women's Wear Daily published Wednesday, Galliano confirmed his exit from the French luxury fashion house.
"As we are parting ways with this beautiful house, my heart overflows with joyous gratitude, and my soul smiles so I want to take this time to express it. I continue to atone, and I will never stop dreaming," Galliano told WWD.
He continued: "In inviting me to assume the position of artistic director in the house that Martin (Margiela) built, he gave me the greatest, most precious gift: The opportunity to once again find my creative voice when I had become voiceless."
The comments were made in reference to his infamous 2011 ouster from Christian Dior after a video surfaced of a 2011 rant at a Paris bar, where he made comments considered racist and antisemitic. That year, he was found guilty for two hate crimes. It followed a separate, similar incident at the same bar in 2010 a year earlier.
Need a break?Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
But in 2014, Galliano made a career comeback at Margiela.
"Being brave enough to unlearn, to re-educate ourselves from the past – for it is societally learnt – to share, empathize, and practice compassion," he added.
Galliano continued, praising Margiela parent company president Renzo Russo who he said "took a risk" and gave him "a second chance," telling WWD that his hiring "told the fashion industry that it is at its best when we collectively support each other, not judge; when we accept, forgive, and help one another see the error of our ways."
Alessandro Michele named new creativedirector of Valentino after Gucci departure
Earlier this year, ex-Gucci head Alessandro Michele got back in his creative director bag, this time at Valentino, following Pier Paolo Piccioli's exit.
"Maison Valentino is honored to announce today the appointment of Alessandro Michele as Creative Director," the brand announced in a statement shared to social media at the time. "This appointment marks the beginning of a new journey to continue shining unique values of the brand, its heritage and couture codes in the world through Alessandro Michele’s unique perspective and wealth of experience."
Michele called the appointment "an incredible honor," adding, "I feel the immense joy and the huge responsibility to join a Maison de Couture that has the word 'beauty' carved on a collective story, made of distinctive elegance, refinement and extreme grace."
Chanel is also facing a shakeup as fashion onlookers await the naming of a new fashion creative director. WWD reported last month that Matthieu Blazy, the Bottega Veneta creative director, is a frontrunner for the brand's top spot.
Contributing: Brendan Morrow
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (57)
Related
- 'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
- Colorado gold mine where tour guide was killed and tourists trapped ordered closed by regulators
- Here’s What Halloweentown’s Kimberly J. Brown Wants to See in a 5th Installment
- His country trained him to fight. Then he turned against it. More like him are doing the same
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- How Liam Payne Reacted to Girlfriend Kate Cassidy Leaving Argentina Early
- Florida digs out of mountains of sand swept in by back-to-back hurricanes
- Bachelor Nation’s Carly Waddell Engaged to Todd Allen Trassler
- 'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
- New Hampshire’s port director and his wife, a judge, are both facing criminal charges
Ranking
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- How Liam Payne Reacted to Girlfriend Kate Cassidy Leaving Argentina Early
- Cleveland mayor says Browns owners have decided to move team from lakefront home
- Universal will open fourth Orlando theme park next May
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- Takeaways from The Associated Press’ reporting on extremism in the military
- Derrick Dearman executed in Alabama for murder of girlfriend's 5 family members
- Homeland Security grants temporary status to Lebanese already in the United States
Recommendation
Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
Review of Maine police response to mass shooting yields more recommendations
Arizona prosecutors drop charges against deaf Black man beaten by Phoenix police
‘Breaking Bad’ star appears in ad campaign against littering in New Mexico
Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
Canadian Olympian charged with murder and running international drug trafficking ring
A newborn was found dead at a California dump 30 years ago. His mother was just arrested.
Democratic incumbent and GOP challenger to hold the only debate in Nevada’s US Senate race